As I was adjusting a long time patient, she asked me who takes care of my back? I’m bent over taking care of others all day long, surely someone must take care of my back… what we often forget, is Chiropractic is not about your back.
Since I first started my education and career the research and our understanding of chiropractic has come SUCH a long way. In fact, I no longer think about my back at all. Or those of my patients even. Or my husband’s, or my dog’s, or my kids’… I’m focused on our brains.
Here is a quote from one of the top Chiropractors studying Neurology in the world, Dr. Heidi Haavik when she was speaking to Dr. Don MacDonald this summer for his podcast:
“We are not moving bones off squashed nerves as we once thought. It’s about improving the motion of the spine which in turn improves the ability of the brain to interpret its relationship to the body and to the external world. The science is very clear.”
So I never take care of my back, or anyone else’s. I’m constantly focused on taking care of the movement of the spine, the impact of that on the brain, and then what else we can do to support healthy spinal movement and brain function.
SO… what DO I do? Well, the exact same things I recommend to my patients of course!!!
- regular chiropractic adjustments (this doesn’t mean waiting until pain)
- daily movement exercises (more on this in another post!)
- belly sleeping (again, more to come!)
- meditation, journalling, reading (mostly daily and mostly in the early morning)
- being present with those I love and spending TIME in my relationships
- healthy foods and supplements
- exercise I enjoy, which for me is mostly walking, running, and yoga
- FUN – taking moments to laugh with my kids, talk with friends, plan events I enjoy
So, what are you doing for your brain? And how can I help? An adjustment is a great place to start so you can make the most of life.