It might not be the drink you reach for daily, but MAN, when you need it, it sure works!!! This is a recipe from my friend Sara Bradford, who previously ran Nourish Real Food. Its a killer recipe for kicking a cold’s butt. This is my variation.
- 2 or 3 inches fresh ginger, sliced or grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1-2 tsp turmeric
- 10 whole cloves (or 1/4 tsp ground)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 3 cups fresh water
- juice of 1 whole lemon
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Stick the ginger, spices, and fresh water in a pot. Bring to a boil, and simmer at least 15-20min. It’ll make almost a concentrate. I look for it to reduce by 1/2. (Keep en eye on spillover, the turmeric does stain.)
- Strain out the spices while pouring into a cup.
- Add the lemon juice and raw honey.
- You may take this concentrate, place it in your fridge and simply re heat, add honey, and lemon as you need it. I find this recipe will do me for 1.5 mugs, so I often double it and just reheat the concentrate as I’m ready for it. Do be careful of spills as turmeric stains. I clean it all up with Norwex Cleaning Paste when I spill or if the pot is stained. Its worth the work!
My first line of defence is prevention, including regular adjustments. Once I feel the cold coming on, I get adjusted, make this tea, up some immune boosting supplements, and rest up! This tea helps clear my cold, boost my energy, and feels oh so good on my throat. Have a go and let me know how it goes!!!